Sunday, January 23, 2011

First step . . .

Sometimes, you just have to get started.

I'm not always good at that.

I'm a procrastinator, a woman of good intentions with delayed actions, a fiddle-arounder (if that could be a word).

But I love words and stories...and other people's blogs...and the opportunity this medium presents.

So here's my confession:  I set up this blog in November 2010.  I write for a weekly newspaper in Kenmare, North Dakota, and have published there for 10 years.  I also maintain the website for the paper and post a variety of feature stories and my personal column there every week.  But to launch my own blog has taken more than two months of dithering, along with another hour tonight tweaking the various settings.

Settings are fun. But that's not the focus of my blog.

"Coyote & Darner" is a work in progress--a place to share joy, jokes, writing, stories, sorrows (not many, I hope), nature, chickens, dogs (we have a puppy coming in six weeks to join our 6-year-old black Lab), and cookies.  A place for me to take a step forward as a writer, and for you to share your connections and stories, if you're interested.

Here's to the first step.

Of course, works in progress are always subject to revision. That's one of the things I like best about being a writer.

What's your first step of 2011? (It's January--first steps still count!!!)


P.S. Photos WILL be an integral part of this blog.  That's the next step.

9 comments:

  1. Can I just begin by saying how great this is. Last semester, I had the pleasure of taking my first journalism course at Concordia College. My professor is a fiery and knowledgeable women with years of experience behind her as a reporter for the Fargo Forum. Caught in the middle of the online media twister that has swept the land in the last few years, she asked tons of questions to her journalism students about blogging. As if she assumes that 20-year olds know all about this medium.

    You might be happy to know, Caroline, that by creating this page, you officially know more than I do about blogs.

    As far as "technology natives" go, I'm not very tech savvy when it comes to web page design and blogging. But here's to you, for venturing into this infinite world of online space with a brave heart.

    One of my first step for 2011 actually is something that takes me in the opposite direction. Back to the basics, if you will. I've resolved to read a piece of Pulitzer Prize winning journalism each week. 1/23's highly recommended piece: "Pearls Before Breakfast" by Gene Weingarten of the Washington Post.

    Happy Stepping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations, caroline!
    so good to see you started your blog.
    [finally....(smile)]

    once you've got it down, it will go more smoothly.
    i remember the frustration of starting mine.
    finally posted a photo of prayer flags hanging in my trees because i felt the great need for some peace after all the figuring-out.

    i shall return often and see what you are up to!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything you touch is magic, I can't wait to see your blog unfold, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yippeee, my first comments!!!

    Steph, you make me smile. Pulitzer Prize winning reading--I should try that, too. Here's something else I recommend...choose a major historical event, and read accounts from different newspapers and magazines. Or maybe not even a "major" event--several perspectives about more local or regional topics are always interesting.

    Marie...I know, I know. All the figuring out!!

    Ro...thanks. Just, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caroline! Dear brave heart..... you are awesome. Congratulations on achieving your goal of getting this blog up and running.

    You DO have a magical way about you, and you have already cast your spell on me!

    Steph - you inspired me to google the piece you mentioned. Thank you for naming it so I could track it down. How fascinating. I am now going to do what you are doing......am going to read a piece of P.Prize winning journalism each week. Love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Caroline!!! I look forward to both your photos and your amazing writing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your inspiring words or wisdom & thoughts. I so enjoy reading other peoples writings. Like A Flash in the Pam- the one that has been doing her blog, some of her stories are hillarious, an they are all true to life stories, like yours are also. I am proud of anyone that can write things, there are times I can write and times I can't even talk or seem to write the right words of thought through my mind. Keep up the good work, keep my mind inspired like I tell Pam after reading her blog. Thanks for sharing your photos also. It was interesting to see them. You are such an adventureous person. I truly admire you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a whole thing wrote to you, now I had to make an account for this, I truly enjoy your stories, jus like Pam's that I sent you...I enjoy reading what everyone else writes...I have learned that I should always copy an paste things , as you can loose it..UGH I was totally upset...Life goes on tho. Enjoy & happy writting, as we will be happily reading. PAM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear songbird:

    If you're looking for your next piece of PP winning journalism, try:

    "Crossing Over" by J. R. Moehringer. Won in 2000. It's long but worth every word. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by to visit -- you're always welcome at Coyote & Darner. Since we can't share cookies very easily on this blog, how about your comments instead?